Core1 News

It’s been a while since the Core1.C was released, and since then we’ve been thinking about how to improve on the product which we started with in 2018. We think that the latest revision is worth posting about…

It was always intended that end-users would be able to reprogram the Core1 with whatever sound making code they fancied — hence the ATTiny85 was made removable. It turns out, however, that whilst it is possible, it’s not the most usable workflow (unplug chip; program chip; plug back in; modify code; unplug chip; etc.). With this in mind, one of the team asked the question:

“Could we make the Core1 programmable over an audio input?”

The answer, thanks to previous work done by the TinyMixTape project is “Yes!”. To this end we have forked the audio bootloader code and updated it for our needs — it’s on GitHub here.

As well as the audio input for reprogramming, there are a few other improvements we’ve made to the hardware:

  • An on/off switch (finally!);
  • A reset button;
  • An LED (underneath the wonkystuff ‘W’);
  • Surface-mount!

We have also been working pretty hard on making the reprogramming of the Core1 a bit easier with integration into the Arduino IDE which will be familiar to many. This is available now, in an early form, and supports reprogramming of the Core1 directly from the editor. For those curious, the integration instructions can be found here: https://wonkystuff.github.io/arduino/

So far only 10 prototypes have been created (and bugs in the hardware design have been found), but we are planning that soon the new Core1 Rev.D boards will be on the webshop — our plan is then to bring the design across to AEModular too. These would be completely compatible so that a user can develop algorithms which work (without changes) on both platforms.

In the meantime, if you’d like to have play with the integration, and peruse some of the example code, then take a look at the integration package — we’re happy to receive feedback! Documentation on the wonkystuff programming API is also in development…